Saturday, April 9, 2011

Brick # 2











The second Saturday in April brought my second brick. It was easier this week mostly because I had a better idea of what to expect.

Just like last week, the day began well before it began: I got up at 4:00 and blended up 2 cups of milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter and a frozen banana. Very tasty. I also made a point of having a big drink of water. I was back in bed by4:05 and asleep again by around 4:10.

Once up for good I was fairly ready to go. The bike was already upstairs and I had all of my things on my transition towel. That just left backing the wife's car out of the garage to give myself a good transition area.

The bike was not fast, but it went well. On the more uphill portion of the out and back course I stayed in aero position except to make sharp curves or maneuver around others out on the bike path. I got myself transitioned in a little under two minutes and then it was off on the run.

The run still felt hard, especially at the beginning, but I've never heard it described any other way. I did start out on a more or less down hill for the first half mile this week and that felt better.

The other piece of good news was that the FR305 performed as it was supposed to. No doubt leaving it in the driveway helped.

When it was all over, I had done the run portion in 28:26 or about 9:10 pace and I'm glad about that especially since I felt much slower.

The bike was slower and while part of that was to save some energy for the run, I'd still like to see it get a little faster. The presence of so many hills makes it difficult to get an even pace going. At some point in the next six weeks, I'd like to do a test ride on the SOST course which is nice and flat. At least I'll have an idea of what I can do on a more or less level playing field.

Another week much like this one awaits. Good weather has been holding on for Saturday mornings. Here's hoping that continues!

Brick 2 Results:

1) Bike : 12.7 miles, 47:41, 16.0 mph average
2) Transition: 1:49
3) Run: 3.1 miles, 28:26, 9:10 ppm average

No comments:

Post a Comment