Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Hills

Remember that awful fake drama on MTV from a few years ago? Maybe (like me) you saw the high low lights on The Soup. Well....this post has nothing to do with that.

Rather, I'm talking about my attempts to get ready for a couple of really steep hills that will make up the first couple of miles in the Horsetooth Half Marathon which is about three weeks away.  Just to give you an idea, here's the profile that the race organizers provided on their website:


It's a little hard to ready, but the grade on that second hill leading to the top of "Monster Mountain" is a whopping 9.2%. Much steeper and I think you'd need climbing equipment. The good news is that after that, its a mostly downhill run. Coincidentally, much of this same course will be on the run section of the HITS 70.3 that I'm running at the end of July.

In anticipation of both, I've begun doing some hill repeats--much like the ones I used to do in high school cross country practice so many years ago.

My home in Parker, Colorado sits among many hills including a rather steep one less than half a mile from my front door. So for the second time this month I headed out to climb that beast multiple times. Here's that profile:



My plan calls for a gradual increase in the number I run until I'm doing several miles worth. It's really hard and my HR shoots right up to the top of Z3 leaving me feeling like I'm going to keel over. I don't doubt that I'll feel the same way in the races, but it is also my hope that these efforts will pay dividends in the form of faster recovery for the balance of the race.

So for now, my training continues. The unusually warm and dry March we're having here has allowed me to be outside for all of my workouts except, of course, the swim. I was at Cherry Creek State Park today and I had to wonder if it was possible to get out the wetsuit and put in a mile, but for now, I'll relent!

More to come regarding my interval ride out there as well as (hopefully) some fairly big new on the bike front.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment