Monday, May 28, 2012

Back to Grant Ranch

Unlike last year, Mile High Multisport did not open their open water swimming season until last Saturday, May 19 when I had other plans. On this past Saturday, however, I was up early and showed up at Bowles Reservoir #1 just a little after 7:00. There was already a good sized crowd of cars in the parking lot, though, true to past experience, the lake was open and I was able to swim freely.

One of the things I had forgotten about the experience was the camaraderie among the swimmers. Nearly everyone is a triathlete and we all seem to enjoy talking to each other about what we're training for, how the water felt that day, etc. Once swimming it's pretty much all business, but it is nice to socialize with my fellow triathletes a little.

Last week, the water in Union Reservoir actually felt pretty warm, especially considering that it was a good 15 degrees warmer than the air. Bowles was colder. Not shockingly so, but I did need a couple of minutes to adapt. Once I did, I felt pretty good. There was a time or two when I started to feel like my breathing was getting a little hypoxic, but  I just eased my pace back and then I felt better.

This was also the first time I was able to use my watch for the full swim, having forgotten to hit the start button at the beginning of my race last week. The result this map:



Near as I can tell, the 910XT did a pretty good job of measuring my swim and I hope so because this was a really good pace for a distance of over a mile. In fact, if I can swim this fast at HITS, I'm going to be very happy!

More open water swims out at Grant Ranch are planned and I'll continue to update how those go.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment