Sunday, February 2, 2014

You HAVE to!

One of my big Christmas presents to myself this year was a juicer. I bought it mainly so I could make my own beet juice (mixed with apples, pears and things that, unlike beets, actually taste good) and avoid the cost of buying large quantities of a commercial product.

It got me to thinking about how fanatical some of the people around our sport are. Brett Blankner recently addressed this in his own podcast about a running Twitter argument he was having with some one on the proper way to train for an ultra-marathon as if there were only one.

On another podcast (not naming names) the host went off on a semi-tirade when her guest mentioned chocolate milk in passing. Her ire was not directed at him per se, but you could hear that fanatical anger in her voice that how dare anyone suggest that there might be something beneficial to dairy! Yeah, how dare he!

So the purpose of this post, I suppose, is to affirm to my readers that while I may offer advice and suggestions, none of it is to ever presuppose anything. Part of why I've become so immersed in this sport is the personal journey it has represented to me. Of course, like anyone, I asked for the occasional direction and feedback, but it was always my journey, not the path someone else mapped out for me.

In coming posts I'll talk about some of the benefits I'm getting from a more focused, more intense training plan. If that helps, than I'm glad I could help you on your journey, but I'll never think it's my role to take anyone by the hand and walk them to triathlon success.

Thanks for reading and here's hoping that each of us finds success and fulfillment in our own way!

No comments:

Post a Comment