Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Return of the Two-A-Day

I know--it sounds like a bad horror movie from the Fifties. In actuality, it's nothing more than my next step in ramping up my training, albeit slowly.

Starting last week, I dragged myself out of bed early to go and swim laps at the Rec Center before work. Since there are no Masters Swim classes on Wednesday, the pool is usually quiet. In fact, this morning, I was the only one there during my entire 1500 yard/30 minute swim. After my day was done at the office, I headed home, changed into the cold weather running gear and did an easy  40 minutes around the neighborhood.

This is a routine I'll keep for a couple of more weeks. I'm still, of course doing the rest of my workouts on the bike and still swimming and running longer distances on other days. It may not make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, but my experience last year taught me that this is a good way to signal my body and my subconscious that more work is coming. I did a similar set of two-a-days in February and March of last year and I think I was more mentally prepared for the bricks that began in April.

During the last couple of weeks, I've found myself creeping out of Z1 on both the run and the swim into the lower areas of Z2. While I hadn't planned to start going faster, it seems like it just sort of happened on its own. Since I'm still feeling okay, I suppose I can't complain. It will be nice to start working more on pace, especially as I head into full-on preparation for the Horsetooth Half Marathon which is now about 10 1/2 weeks away, but I'm sure that will fly by.

Right now it's just the slow and steady winter training time. I'm focused on what I'm doing, but I'm also looking forward to being where a triathlete belongs--outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment