Monday, December 2, 2013

My 2014 Race Schedule

It’s only been a little over 5 weeks since my last race but I am already in the process of registering for events for 2014. Compared to last year, you’ll see a much lighter schedule in terms of number of events. I still have two 70.3 races planned and a Century Ride that looks like it might be about the hardest thing I’ve ever tried. Here’s the rundown:




May 17
Nobody offers a race earlier in the season and this is, in my humble opinion, still one of the best to start the season. Sure it’s “only” a sprint, but let’s face it, most of us in cold weather climes likely have not raced in several months. This is a good chance to knock off the cobwebs and get back into the multi-sport routine.

  May 26 
I say it every year. Being in Boulder, running this race every Memorial Day is my number one priority. I’m hoping to get my wife to do it this year in which case I’ll be running with her for moral support. That does not matter to me. As long as I’m there, I’m happy.
            



June 21
I’m planning on doing the century version of this ride which is actually 106 miles and includes more than 10,000 feet of climbing. Yes, I said 10,000 feet. My brother did it last year and described it as a true sufferfest. Yet he’s going back and he managed to talk me into joining him. Well, it will be a good challenge but probably not a very impressive                                                                             performance.













July 20
Why Racine? Well, for one, it’s one of the few 70.3 races within relatively close distance in the middle of July. I might have done Vineman in Sonoma County but didn’t get registered soon enough—it sells out fast. I’m actually also interested in getting to do a race that involves a Great Lakes swim. Finally, my wife and I can parlay this trip into a mini-vacation in Chicago. We did the same in Austin and it proved to be a lot of fun.

I’ve been mostly impressed with Ironman-branded events so I think this one will be good too.


August 17
This is the second of three Without Limits events I’m doing next year. I didn’t plan it that way, but it just worked out that their schedule and mine intersected nicely. Although the Rattlesnake triathlon is being re-organized with new owners next year, I’m looking for a break from that one. This course looks intriguing and despite being in the mountains, is fairly flat. I also know the area and know it will be a beautiful spot to race.





September 7
I’ve had my eye on this one for a number of years but have always shied away because it is often unbelievably hot. I’m going to train for that this year so hopefully even a climb into the 90* range won’t keep me from doing well. I know the area very well since it’s just north of where I live and I have done considerable bike training on part of the course.






Beside fewer events are some other key differences with years past:


1. No triathlons in Boulder. Good. I raced there three times last year and to be honest, I’m a little tired of it.


2. Once again no HITS. I’d really like to race one of their events again, but there just isn’t anything particularly nearby that also works with my schedule. Maybe one day they’ll come to the Front Range.


3. No events closer than 3 weeks. That smallest gap is between Steamboat and Harvest Moon. I think that will be okay. If need be, I’ll use Steamboat as a training race since the 70.3 event is the more important.


4. Most important of all, all of this will be done with the guidance of a coach. That means my preparation will be far better thought out than in past years and hopefully I’ll be writing more race reports about my successes.


Excluding the BolderBoulder, which is always more for fun than anything else, I have five major events planned. I may end up entering a swim race out at Grant Ranch and you never know if there will be a July 4 race I want to do. Otherwise, this is the list and I think it’s a good one.


I don’t know about anything beyond September 7. In all likelihood, I’ll register for somebody’s half marathon but that’s not a concern for now.




As always, thanks for reading and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment