Sunday, December 29, 2013

"Summer" Training

When you live in a four season climate like that of my home state of Colorado, you resign yourself to certain facts every fall.

First, once Labor Day passes, swimming outside is done. Be it your local open water venue or outdoor pool, odds are, you're back to indoor swimming.

Second, as the days get shorter and colder, runs are often going to be in the cold and the dark. Sure, there are occasional respites of warme weather, but mostly, cold weather gear is in order.

This week I got to see how folks in warmer climates train. Granted, even the locals have said is is warm for the time of year but even more typical weather it's still much warmer than home.

My last post gave a small taste as I ran around the neighborhood on Christmas morning. Two days later I got an even better taste as I took a short fifteen minute walk over to the local YMCA. It features a large 25 yard outdoor pool. Better still as a first time user, my entry was free! 


Early the following morning, my sister-in-law picked me up around 6:15 so I could join her and a friend on their morning run around La Jolla Cove. It was overcast as we arrived (typical for mornings on the coast) but the temperature was still in the 60's and I was comfortable in a pair of tri shorts and ant-shirt.



Later today, I head home and back to reality. I'm glad though. I like where I live including the benefits that come with training at high altitude. What's more, I heard from my coach this week and I expect to see the first workouts of my annual training plan.

And...I'll be getting even more summer sampling in a few weeks when my wife and I vacation on the south coast of Jamaica!


No comments:

Post a Comment