Friday, January 7, 2011

Too cold to ride?

Early in the week, the forecast said Friday would see a high of 50 degrees or so. It got me to thinking. If I could leave work early enough, I could get home and go enjoy a ride outdoors.
This was especially good news because the trainer I got for Christmas is missing a key bolt that connects the resistance unit to the frame. The friendly guy at Saris cycles was more than happy to send me the part...but only after they finished inventory this week. So I was stuck with no training option.
When I got home at about 3:30 this afternoon, that 50 degrees had deteriorated to about 43. As I rode, it got even colder--helped by a strong wind out of the east. Not as bad as what I encountered in Florida but not exactly ideal riding weather.

Despite the adversity, I did manage to get 18 miles in and I did it ahead of my goal speed. I do hope my trainer parts show up soon. Winter is coming back just as it did a week ago. I really need to keep riding and I don't think outdoors is going to be an option for a while.

It's been a pretty good week. I got three miles on the tread mill on Tuesday and ran four miles outdoors last night. I'm also planning on swimming tomorrow and using the Tempo Trainer to try and reach my goal pace of 40 yards a minute. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment