Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Toys!

Anyone involved in triathlons who tells you they don't care about the stuff that comes with the sport is a liar...a bald-faced liar, a f----ing liar:

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/liar.wav

:-)

While it's not all about the toys, they are a nice fringe benefit.

And as it happens, some toys can be very useful. This week, I've been putting some of those to use. If you live in Colorado you know not only has the snow been on the ground since Sunday, it's also been friggin freezing! I know some hard cores will go out and run when it's 14 degrees outside, but I say no thanks.

So yesterday it was a treadmill run. It was also my first time using the Garmin Foot Pod. If you're not familiar with it, basically it tracks your distance and cadence when a satellite is not an option. It worked as expected. It's pretty just a matter of telling your Garmin that you have the accessory (it's on a list) and it finds it in short order. The pod itself is very small (about the size of the top half of your thumb only thinner) and easily clips onto your shoe laces.

As for accuracy, it's pretty close. The .006 difference between my treadmill readout and what showed on the FR305 could easily be attributed to inaccuracies in the treadmill. To be certain, when the weather gets better, I'm going to run the calibration on a track.

It was a whole 15 degrees warmer tonight so, no, I did not take the bike out and ride it in the freezing cold and dark. Fortunately, I have another toy to track indoor rides. Well, two toys, actually. The first is the previously non-functional trainer. The missing hardware arrived on Monday. I was able to connect the resistance unit to the frame and also mount my bike.:



Of course, a data geek like me doesn't just want to jump on and start a stop watch. I want info. That's where another Garmin accessory comes in. The Cadence Sensor picks up not only speed based on wheel rpm but also cadence based on pedal rotation. The sensor fits on the chain stay on the side opposite the cassette:





The result is cool charts like this one:


 Now my calorie data will more closely reflect real efforts. If nothing else, it keeps me honest about how hard I am or am not working.

One last thing I wanted to share. I'm planning a trip to Road Runner Sports in Broomfield this Saturday. I'm overdue for a new pair of shoes. I had also planned on spending some money on a recovery drink. I've read a lot about the importance of getting recovery within 15 minutes of finishing a workout. Makes sense. There's a more scientific explanation, but basically your body is so revved up at that point, the nutrients in the recovery work more effectively.

What never would have occurred to me was that chocolate milk was one of the best recovery drinks out there. Don't take my word for it, though. Check out this post on DC Rainmaker's blog:


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment