Thursday, December 23, 2010

Against the wind....

Unlike yesterday's pleasant sea breezes, today there is a steady 20+mph wind out of the north. The sea is also much rougher and the tides were further in (not sure if that was normal tide of the weather front is pushing it in more).

Knowing that I'm spending the afternoon and evening in the old town (and that will probably involve visting a pub or two) I knew I needed to get today's run in this morning.

First thing I noticed when I stepped outside was that it was cold. Not Colorado cold, but definitely chilly in a short sleeve tech shirt and a pair of compression shorts. Half a mile in, I was sucking wind (literally) and struggling against the gale which was constant. I wasn't feeling all that spry to begin with and this sort of clinched it. No time improvement today.

One and a half miles up the beach, I turned around and enjoyed the benefit of having the wind at my back. I definitely ran faster, but I was also pretty spent at this point and my heart rate was up into the 160 range. I still managed to keep up a sub 9:30 pace on the last mile, but I was feeling it.

This chart sort of shows the contrast between the first and second half of the run:


Saturday is looking less windy and a little warmer but wet. Might have to see about a point-to-point run with my wife providing transportation back to the condo afterword. Something to think about.

I'm going to see what I can do to get another strength workout in tomorrow. At the very least, it would be good to keep strengthening those core muscles.



No comments:

Post a Comment