Monday, December 20, 2010

Strength Workouts

It's especially true, I think, that after one gets in decent cardiovascular condition, it's easy to overlook the importance of strength training. I'm no expert in this area, but everything I've read says that stronger core muscles lend themselves to better running and swimming.

With that in mind, I have been dedicating my non-cardio days to strength training. This evening that included planks, crunches, scicssors (what I call lying on my side and lifting my upper leg) and some free weights (bench and curls).

All of these activities fall into the toning category which means it takes time to see results. Slowly but surely, though it's yielding results. At the start of my strength work outs, I was sporting some love handles that were making me none-to-proud. This is not to say that they are gone, but they are noticeably reduced thanks to the planks.

With the workout done, my abs are sore from the crunches and my arms feel like someone has been punching them, but I guess that's a good thing.

Tomorrow is an off day with travel so most likely, no post. Not sure what the Internet connection status is at the place I'm staying but I'm hoping I can post while I'm in Florida. I'm particularly interested in doing my runs on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment