Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stroke & Stride #3 Race Report -- Kind Of...

Well, unlike the SOST three and a half weeks ago, I did actually get to get in the water today. Unfortunately, about 3/4 of the way to the first buoy, the lifeguards sounded the horn for everyone to turn around and come back. Lightning was observed and it's the policy of the Boulder Reservoir (a sensible one I think) to pull everyone out for half an hour.

For me, that may have been just as well. I was having a hard time of it in the water and I think I may have bit off more than I could chew this week trying to swim 1500 meters. I've also kind of forgotten that I can be pretty tired in the afternoon and the energy levels definitely dip. We'll see about staying with the distance next week. I was prepared to start again but in the 750m wave when they called the swim event completely due to more lightning.

So there was basically no transition and probably just as well because I forgot to attach my timing chip before the swim...oops!

I got out of the wet suit (harder without strippers) and put on my running gear. By now the sun was back out and it was still in the mid to upper eighties. I was well hydrated (maybe too hydrated) so it was not a problem, but it was still kind of a rough run. I wanted to push myself to run a little faster than I did in Greeley on Sunday and I did that, but it was starting to take its toll in the last mile. I still finished at 26:21 which is an 8:32 pace and I can live with that.

Overall, its a nice setup. There's a little less formality than a lot of races, but it is still definitely a race which is kind of cool. My wife is coming out with me next week so, weather permitting, I'll be doing another report with some pictures to go with. For now, you'll just have to make due with this map from the run.



No comments:

Post a Comment