Monday, May 23, 2011

Race Schedule Update

Much of my summer plans are centered around training for the Creek Streak Olympic Triathlon on July 30. I've tweaked my schedule some to up the bike mileage and I already have plans for several "aquathlon" events to maximize the open water swimming experience.

Once that race is done, I'm off for an extended vacation in Italy where I'll continue to train, but in all honesty with probably considerably less intensity. It is a vacation after all.

When I looked at the calendar, I realized there was not very much time between the end of that vacation and the Boulder Sunset Triathlon on September 4. So I started looking around for another race a little bit later. Sure enough, I found one.

Competitor Group, the same outfit behind the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon events has a series of four sprint/oly events in Seattle, Annapolis, Gettysburg and my home away from home, San Diego. This was particularly appealing since I have both sister-in-law and mother-in-law in the area providing room and board and general support. Such was the case in 2006 when I ran the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.

The Tri Rock San Diego gives me a great opportunity to particiapte in a large, professionally run event in the mecca and birthplace of triathlons. Given my disappointment about not being able to swim at the SOST, I decided this would be the event for me.

So with that in mind, my new race schedule look as follows (and is probably now fixed):

May 30 - 33rd Annual Bolder Boulder - I have more history with this event than any other. I ran my first event in 1983 at the age of 13 and have participated in 13 races with this year marking 14. They are running a new course for the first time in the history of the race so in some ways it will feel new. On the other hand, participating in race with 55,000 people on Memorial Day is very familiar.

June 12 - The Greeley Triathlon - Greeley is my home town. It's where my parents still live as do a number of friends. Going back to participate there will be exciting and fulfilling. I'm crossing my fingers that the e coli will not make an encore performance there as well!

July 30 - Creek Streak Olympic Triathlon - Just up the road from my home in Parker. It's one of three events put on by Your Cause Sports. This one is particularly cool because for a low entry fee of $25 I only had to raise another $150 for the charity of my choice. I've already raised $325. If you would like to contribute, you can visit my link here.

September 11 - Tri Rock San Diego - As mentioned, a great opportunity to participate in the place the sport was born. The course along the San Diego Bay waterfront also looks to be very cool.

October 9 - Denver Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - The last time I participated in this event, it was still the Denver Marathon. Having participated in a Competitor run event before, I know it will be a well-run race. I'm a little nervous about how my body will react to increased running, but I have lots of Aleve and ice!

There will very likely also be some "fun run" events like an Independence day 5K and a Turkey Trot, but these are the major events. Although not races, per se, I'm also planning on participating in a couple of the Stroke and Stride events at the Boulder Reservoir and then four of the Aquaman Series events at Cherry Creek Reservoir. This will especially beneficial since I'll be swimming in the same water as the Creek Streak.

So there you have it. A pretty full slate of events and a very challenging training schedule to go with it.

Today I'm enjoying a restful day after yesterdays Du but tomorrow it's back on the bike (on the trainer probably because of expected wet weather) then back in the pool Wednesday and on and on. As I mention at the bottom of the page, I'm still a First Timer though I guess I would admit that I've entered the world of multisport.

I'm also going to try and do more posting and see what I can do to promote my blog a little more. I don't pretend to be a sage, but I am gaining experiences that ought to be of some value to anyone considering their first triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment